East Causewayside

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
chombee

East Causewayside

Post by chombee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 pm

I think that's what it's called anyway, the little triangle of tarmac between three roads, and two churches, near Bristo Place. I can see it from out my window. Last week some people came along and put up a bunch of palm trees and other crazy stuff and chalked or painted colourful flowers and stuff on the pavement. It was nice, then after a few days they went away leaving behind only the chalk or paint on the pavement.

Now, some flowers chalked on a pointless traffic island hurts no one, right? And the rain will eventually wash it away anyway, right?

But along comes the City of Edinburgh Council, with all its green credentials, in one of their street cleaning vans. They started driving around on the triangle spraying the pavement with water from the vehicle, then when that didn't get the flowers off they walked around on foot spraying them with more water at high pressure. They did this all day, I've been watching them, and failed to remove the flowers. The next day they came back with two vehicles, the water spraying street cleaner and a truck filled with additional barrels of water. Again, all day, they sprayed water onto the ground at high pressure.

The chalk flowers are gone now, thank goodness, but they're still spraying away at full power, apparently trying to get rid of the last little bits.

I'd love to have taken some time-lapse film of this debacle and sent it to the Scottish Beeb.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:23 pm

Yes, that was part of the 6 Cities design festival. It was West Crosscauseway, or the Causey. I went along and had a butchers and it was a nice thing to do to an otherwise ordinary bit of road.

I think some of the flowers were spray painted on. I was hoping they would stay a while. The council really are fucking losers.

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:54 am

In the early hours of Saturday as I was leaving a party, I spoke to the guy from the council who was cleaning the flowers of the pavement.
He informed me that he was being paid overtime, as a contract job, to clean it and the chemicals he was using where destroying the pavement...
So the council charges the Six Cities Festival shit loads of cash to pay for work that is unnecessary, and in the process costs itself more money.

What a clever bunch of fellows!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:50 pm