Info about Students debt

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Susana

Info about Students debt

Post by Susana » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 am

I just thought that maybe someone out there would benefit from knowing about 'hardship funds' -for former students, I think- and 'the abolition of £2000 endowment fee'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8192381.stm

Good luck :|
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Gandhi

Re: Info about Students debt

Post by Gandhi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Abolition of Endowment Fees has been active for 2 years but unfortunately they still made it so certain students who studied between certain years would still have to pay it back which is quite frankly ridiculously unfair.

Hardship funds are now called "discretionary funds" by Universities in a bid to make it sound less like "money for poor people". These are handed out by the Universities and if you are in financial hardship you should go and speak to them about your eligibility for one of these. They are not set amounts as the amount of grant depends on your personal circumstances. Please do this well in advance of the end of term though as once the budget is given out thats it, so don't be late. These grants are avilable for EU and International students as well I believe and not just for UK nationals. I'm talking about grants whilst still at Uni and not one's for after.

Increased loans idea is fair enough as it is a loan and has to be paid back.
I'm not convinced how much the idea of increased bursaries and "holiday grants" will be taken up due to the fact that the Scottish Government already provides a very attractive student funding package here. In England you do not have your tuition fees paid for and therefor have to take a fee loan out unlike in Scotland where if your are a Scottish national or EU national they will pay your tuition fees for you....they do not pay English students fees if they come here to study though which is a bit harsh since Scotlands funding is provided for by the UK funding purse as there are not 2 purses for England and Scotland. Scotland also provides some funding for some Post graduate Diploma courses whereas England does not!

You should also be aware that further education as it stands at the moment is a choice and not a right (don't start the backlash just yet hear me out)and therefore if you cannot afford it then maybe you should wait until you can...after all a lot of research has shown you end up in a better financial sitution by bypassing higher education and getting your foot in the door and learning skills on the job.
It's like God's vagina!

Gandhi

Re: Info about Students debt

Post by Gandhi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 pm

actually forgot to mention that if you are thinking about doing an Open Uni or distance learning course you should give ILA a call on 08081001090. i believe you can be funded for more than 1 course (e.g. 1 each year for a few years) and grants of £500 to pay fees etc are available dependant on circumstances. Evening courses combined with real life experience in a job is in my opinion the key to success. :D
It's like God's vagina!