electrical malfunctions

Front of House, garden etc.
baloo

electrical malfunctions

Post by baloo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:23 pm

i just think we should switch off the lights in the window of the shop overnight, make sure its done....
We don need to be like a "normal" shop do we? isnt that stuff just bull..?
If we can remember to switch off computers in action room...basically switch off everything overnight i reckon the whole system will take longer to die.... either way: a good thing....

Maybe i should post this on the night manager forum....
up and at it.

neil

Re: electrical malfunctions

Post by neil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 pm

This is a pretty crazy idea, but having put loads of energy in the past into trying to get people to switch shit off, and having realized that it is impossible (sorry for pessimism), I believe this is the only way to get everything off at the end of the day:

IF the building is to be rewired, you need (at least) two separate circuits. One feeds the essential shit such as fridges & freezers that must never be turned off. Another feeds all the PA & computers & shit like that. You have a big master switch for the 2nd circuit in a locked office somewhere which can be flipped by the last person to leave the building. It shuts every non-essential thing down, leaving them with just enough light to get out the building & lock the door behind them.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 am

neil wrote:You have a big master switch for the 2nd circuit in a locked office somewhere which can be flipped by the last person to leave the building. It shuts every non-essential thing down, leaving them with just enough light to get out the building & lock the door behind them.
Bad idea, I think. Suddenly killing power to electrical equipment (PA, Computers, etc) is not good for it. I think it would be far better to have a "Shutdown checklist". I can make the action room computers shutdown automagically at 12 midnight.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Fair enough, but anything that can be done to make the process of switching everything off easier will make it more likely that people will actually do it. Leaving aside such delicate things as computers and PAs, even if there was a master switch that put off all the lights in the building it would be a great help.

I'm the kind of person who is very vigilant about switching things off, yet when I used to close the building down I would tire of spending so much time at the end of a long night putting everything off - especially when I was running to get a night bus.

And it used to always bother me that there was no way I knew of to put the PA off!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Bye Bye Standby plugs are usefull for things that are plugged in to the wall sockets but don't know about hardwired things. you could just trip the fuse.hehe.
It's like God's vagina!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:29 pm

the gallery should invest in some timer switches for video type stuff , so it get switched on and off . ill bring it up at the next meeting

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:30 pm

I suggested timer switches for some of the stuff that people sometimes forget, like the Bain Marie or the grill but was told that people would just fiddle with them and fuck them up.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:32 pm

well for the gallery i think its worth a try . but yes people do tend to think its funny to mess about with stuff .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

nix

Post by nix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

re-wire wish-list:

Kitchen Master switch: power to everything (inc. jukebox) apart from fridges.

Sound circuit: power to all sound stuff (exc. jukebox) , inc understage amps, but locked and "sound team" responsibility.

more sensible lableing of fuses in basement.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:59 pm

I will pass on all these things to Paul the electrician when he comes in.

They're on my list!