electrical problems/hall

Front of House, garden etc.
mirja

electrical problems/hall

Post by mirja » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:32 pm

there was a very nice newish looking extension cord - one of those industrial spooled types - in the hall, i plugged into it 2 small heaters, both pretty new. 2 hours in the session it smoked, busted my heater and the electrical socket strip on the stage. It kept smoking for a long time, so it's currently not in the trashcan but right next to it.
DONT use it - its green and black!!

would be really nice to recap on our liabilities, as this shit keeps coming out of the woodwork.

ChaoticReality

Re: electrical problems/hall

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Did the heater "blow up" (emit smoke, etc)? If not, then it's probably just blown the fuse in the plug and we should have spares lying around somewhere.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chris

Post by chris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Heya!

Extension leads like the one you describe, should not be used for high power devices (heaters) unless they are fully unwound. Otherwise what you've described can happen, basically the cables get too hot and melt (potentially very dangerous). Normally the extension leads like this have this written on them, that they should be unwound. Once it started melting probably the trip switch for the stage went, this is in the lobby and just needs to be flipped back.

Heaters consume really large amounts of power and should only be plugged directly into mains sockets, generally speaking they should never be used on extension leads or power bars. And they should not share extension leads.

Please make sure this is thrown away!

Glad everyone is ok :)

Chris xxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

mirja

Post by mirja » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 pm

crap. sorry about that.
i do use a lot of this stuff as I'm always doing some sort of construction/building, coiled, uncoiled, rigged with various extensions, and with heavy tools, but i don't generally use heaters, i guess they are on continuously for too long. my fault.
no heater i own has long enough lead to heat the centre of the room, alas.

I'm glad if there is no more damage to the strip etc. !
I cannot come in tonight,
is there anyone pls around to toss out that cable? It's a green and black electric extension cord wound up, by the trashcan in the hall. Big favour,

x

chris

Post by chris » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

I've found it and thrown it out!

Totally melted through on the inside!
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

geez... ! thanks for that!!

/x