Proposal to extend the free shop

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
helen

Proposal to extend the free shop

Post by helen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:24 pm

We plan to extend the free shop in to the gallery space for the last two weeks of december, an alternative to chistmas shopping.
Make new things out of old things,
BRAINSTORM NOW

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:27 pm

great idea!

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Yeah, really cool. Also Buy Nothing Day is Nov 24th in the UK and there might be something going on in Edinburgh. A good source of ideas if nothing else.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

bill

Post by bill » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 pm

dai we need you for this

skiptastic

ras

Freeshop

Post by ras » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Guys,
you have got it right, it is a great idea. Please get more people, more artists to make it bigger...
peace and love.
ras babi

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 pm

it would be great to use the gallery space to create a "shop", subverting common retail bollocks.

it would be good to have people altering stuff to make artist's editions, one off objet d'arte type stuff made from free things

maybe a policy of take something make something, or take something, deposit free stuff or similar.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Buy none get one free.
On a side subject,
I was in I think Frazer's just the other day,
they now offer Personal Shoppers

'House of Fraser's personal shopping service is invaluable. Specially trained staff (who've undergone rigorous tuition) will be more than happy to listen to your needs, and advise and perhaps introduce you to labels you may never have thought of trying before'

In turn I intend to set up my own service
Personal Shoplifter.
(though I don't figure getting my own fingers dirty, I fancy myself in a Fagin role)
Pep Up The Turmoil

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Paying someone to sell you things, in such an explicit way, has to be about as far as you can take capitalism before it implodes. It is like paying for your own shopping channel. This is the sort of excess that the pharaohs indulged in, and look what happened to them.

Can we have our own Father Christmas who offers up the contents of his sack to smiling faced children?

beev

Post by beev » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Welsh Dai wrote:Buy none get one free.
Love it!

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:06 pm

yes!!!! Vive la Freeshop!!!
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Newington Bandit

Post by Newington Bandit » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:43 pm

swithun wrote: Can we have our own Father Christmas who offers up the contents of his sack to smiling faced children?
Do we get to sit on his lap???

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Only if you've been especially bad this year.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Sounds awesome. It would be good if this could coincide with Buy Nothing Day, or at least for the publicity to be ready in time for it. There's also good subverts, etc. for Buy Nothing Christmas on Adbusters...

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 pm

great, thats the xmas shopping taken care of! freegans are us. happy shoplifter...! this week i found a yamaha DD14 drum machine in a "zu verschenken" ("yours for the taking") box in the street - my new fave toy!!!
like the wombles "making good use of the things that we find...". berlins Umsonstladen (freeshop) got raided by the fuzz recently?!?!?!
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

helen

Post by helen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 pm

OK, Total Kunst is booked for a free shop explosion from the 14th to the 21st December. Now we need SUBVERSTISEMENT POSTERS or no one will know. I'll do one.

danny

Tee-shirts, Mugs, Cards...

Post by danny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:24 am

Tea shirts!
We can make fun simple designs with a fabric pen. I'm gonna get some soon! YES! Or by stitching simple stuff!
Mugs!
Festive Handpainted Mugs has to be a must. Can we get some sort of mug painting thing happening?

Bits and bobs re-cycled scrap store did a Christmas card workshop last year, maybe we could combine that with the event? The cards getting made last year were all worryingly cliched though. The cards that Ryan did last donkeys years ago were ace, we need more stuff like dat.

"Who's your Daddy? Who's your Daddy?" - Father Christmas

8)

danny

Jingle Balls

Post by danny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:09 am

:D OH YES! OH YES! Fuck Me! We'll have Angels on the tree! Heaven sent, hellbent and unrepentant! We'll have tinsel on our mistletoes, We'll have our hands on our hoes, as that feeling grows in our jingle balls of joy! Sackloads of fun for every girl and boy! and for Mum and Dad too! WE LOVE YOU
Another wee kiss under the mistletoe! Kiss me again under the jingle balls! Do come by ! Cum and buy! Bring your family! Bring a friend! Bring your own Bell-end! Spendthrifty nifty knitted sweater...Something better.. Tom's Booze Cruise! New SHoes! A new hat! Hardcore hip-hop in the free shop from Rude Boy rudolph and Father Christmas! On my Christmas wishlist, oh MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Lets lay our logs by the fire. Dump by the tree. SHIT is this all this for me! All for ME! I love Christmas.
It's buy none get one free! ALL FOR ME! Bum gravy and the meat sauce! For my main course! And there's the turkey of course! Redcurrant Jelly! There's so much good shit on the telly! I can hardly wait! If Christmas doesn't cum soon I'm gonna have to go and masturbate!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:59 am

Good night last night was it Danny? :wink:
If Christmas doesn't cum soon I'm gonna have to go and masturbate!
Who wouldn't want to see that on a Christmas card?
the more you think, the more you stink