it is possible to have grant for Gaelic festival 28 nov.?

gio

it is possible to have grant for Gaelic festival 28 nov.?

Post by gio » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Hello everybody! It is Gio evs here.
As anybody know it's many months that I'm organizing a Gaelic rock festival in the Forest's hall.
It will take place the 28th of NOVEMBER from the afternoon until the night.
There will be GAELIC LANGUAGE-CULTURE PUBLISHINGS STALLS during all the festival's time and WORKSHOPS in the afternoon.
4 Gaelic singing BANDS and a songwriter/traditional songs singer are going to play:
- OI POLLOI - hard-core punk mixed with traditional music)
- ATOMGEVITTER - screamo punk hard-core
- NA GATHAN- melodic rock
- GADAN BOLAIDH (GATUNBOLLY) - raw folk-rock
- TARTAN HEATHER - gaelic traditional songs
in the end of the gig probably there will be a bagpipes player who is going to perform.
The afternoon will start with the following workshops:
- Gaelic language lessons
- Traditional songs practice
- Spinning wool workshop: to see the traditional way the Tartan was made
learn about the colours and the plants they come from and singing the traditional spinning songs
Me and Mark (the Gaelic teacher at Forest) have organized a Samhuinn Ceilidh on the 1st of November in the hall to raise money for the bands, the publishing distributors and the workshops teachers whose are going to partake at the Gaelic festival (many of them come from outside Edinburgh).
Especially for cover their travel expenses because that's what they ask and nothing more actually!
So everybody know that it took a lot of time and energy to me and I choose to do that and I'm happy to do that but I think that with this Ceilidh we will not cover all the expenses, nor even with the Gaelic night! You know, the entrance is by donation and even if people stare at the door and ask for suggest donations (not mentioned it in the poster of course) the money will not be enough and besides we have to pay the hall for the Ceilidh.
So I want to ask if it is possible to have a grant for this event, because I know that the Forest sometimes can decide to help specials events as this and I am sure that it worths, because there are few situations like this in Edinburgh and in Scotland in general. This is to support, save and spread Gaelic language and culture - that is Scottish ancient and important history- but triyng to reconcile and reconnect the young people to their common history mixing the modern days music (as punk and rock) with such an ancient topic. In the night there will be other Do It Yourself music distributions and this is a modern thing as well and the bands will sell theyr products (fanzines, books, CDs etc...)through these.
This is an amazing and rare event that will collect a lot of people from Edinburgh and surrounding towns, it will advertise give more visibility to the Forest cafe and help us to meet new customers and supporters.
A lot of young public will attend to this because the music is "our times music" but at the same time it will collect adults interested in the Scotland's history and culture.
Me and the singer of Atomgevitter have created a my space page on line to advertise the event and we are finishing to manage the poster and the flyers. Roddy (the singer) who can fluently speaks Gaelic will advertise this on the Gaelic radios and publications.
You know that we all are working as volunteers to do that and so if you would like to help us to give what all this people deserve please let me know if it is possible to have a meeting to have a grant.
Even a small grant could help us.
So let me know if you want to have4 a meeting about this soon (the festival is the 28th of November).
Thank you so much for the attention.
GIO

milk

Re: it is possible to have grant for Gaelic festival 28 nov.?

Post by milk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm

hey Gio. i've deleted the duplicate posts from Events, Minutes and The People's forum. Events & Promo is definitely the right place to ask such a question. in future, if you could just make one post that would be great - don't worry, people will see it and give you an answer! otherwise the conversation gets split and things get very confusing. thanks!

as to the grant, i don't know - hopefully someone with their finger more on the pulse regarding travel expense budget issues will be able to let you know. it would also be good to discuss this at the next Cafe & Events meeting which will be the first Thursday of November.

m.x
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 pm

This sounds cool, two things I could suggest:

- we should give the hall for free if it supporting a forest event. What do other people think about this?

- Gio, if you worked out what was needed to cover these costs, Forest would know better if they could afford to help.

x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:23 am

the hall should be for free

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 am

I think giving the hall for free is a better idea than a grant.

When Gio began arranging this months ago, we were still in the grip of financial worries. These have receded a little bit now, and we are giving the hall out for lots of free Forest workshops now.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am

Actually, and correct me if I am wrong Gio, but I think we had already agreed to give you the hall for free for your event on 28th?

I think we had asked you to pay a small amount for your event on 1st Nov?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm

hey there, if you are having this as a forest event then surely you can ask people to pay corckage. Gio i would also talk to mark about trying to find funding, he is after all a Gaelic officer at the Scottish parliament, worth a chat at least.