doors for gallery

simone

doors for gallery

Post by simone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:22 pm

yep
that old chesnut!

so it has been proposed that we put better blinds on the gallery doors. this has come up because we have a resident artist this month and they want to be able to leave things in gallery while they go to loo/ get food without things being tampered with. maybe too late this month but for future artists.
will has offered for his £50 budget to go towards this and chris has said the forest could give another £30.

options are to get blinds made of plastic that will be longer and could be locked at the bottom. they would be bulkier at the top, hopefully would not make door height too low. nix looking into these and the cost.

get shutters made that would fold at sides but prob come into gallery space slightly . made out of ply, about £50. can get padlocks put on them.

get doors made like on the old hats book shelves . would be totally movable and not intrude on space but where to store them? something else for kitchen vols to do in the morning,

please could people say what they think asap so decision made. if we want them then maybe something could be done for this show.

my personal feeling is that this is not something we should be spending money on at the moment and the blinds we have a the moment seem to be working well. but i understand the difficulty for artists working in the space .

thanks
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

nix

Re: doors for gallery

Post by nix » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:11 am

get shutters made that would fold at sides but prob come into gallery space slightly . made out of ply, about £50. can get padlocks put on them.

simone

Post by simone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

update

will has decided that the shutters on gallery fine and would rather use budget for other things for his show.
this means only £30 for doors......maybe!

thats all
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
(Billy Bragg)

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Agree with Simone: all fine as it is.

Should an artist wish to bring something lockable her/himself, then ok especially as it can be annoying to visit shows when people are sitting in the window space drinking tea.

However, in the spirit of TK / Forest, my view is that open and fee space to exhibit comes with some responsibility. Appreciate that it can be risky though especially if work is extremely portable... A question of balancing trust and risk methinks.

CJ

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:02 pm

I have to say that i have no strong opinions on this, but the current blinds are starting to look a bit tatty. Perhaps longer lockable blinds, although if will has decide he is happy then perhaps the decision can be deferred.
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

ken

Post by ken » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 am

someone needs to source and price something suitable. Till then it's all a bit pointless discussing it? Action point anybody? K x
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

mirja

Post by mirja » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 am

ok, an option:
ikea has wooden venetian blinds 100cmx155cm for £20 a pop ( white natural or brown wood.) We could install these and then add a railing on one side of the blinds so that they would move up and down like in a rut... does this make sense...
cant remember the dimensions of the door. Prizes are 80x155- £14.99, 100x155- £19.99, 120x155 - £24.99, they have other sizes too.

simone

Post by simone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:42 pm

i am still not convinced that spending this money at the moment is a wise idea.
(Billy Bragg)

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

i think it's fine the way it is