BB signup question.

pockets

BB signup question.

Post by pockets » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Hey,

Just thought I would let you guys know that the question "What street was the original Forest on?" is a little upsetting to those of us who are not familiar with the forests old life.
Jen is trying to create an account here and we cant get past this question even I don't know the answer to and I have volunteered at the forest for a while (maybe not recently)

If we are supposed to be an open community why is this needed to register on the bb. I know its to stop bots and the like but come on eh?

anyway rant over.

much love P x
PLAYBOY POCKETS!

neil

Re: BB signup question.

Post by neil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Fair point. Got any suggestions for a replacement question?

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 am

Suggest the following "Three ways to volunteer: One is to register on the BB, what are the other two?" or something like that...

Best

CJ

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 am

The answer is at the beginning of the volunteer guide though! So yeah, there is a way for new volunteers to find out, they get a copy when they fill in an application form. Maybe we should make it easier for people to know where to look? Put a hint under the question itself?

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 am

Yes, and on the home page first on the list under 'About Forest' is Volunteering and when you open that, the three ways are listed. So, a hint and a suggestion that it's a good idea to volunteer perhaps?

Best

CJ

boletes

Post by boletes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 am

I got the answer on wiki and I quite liked it being hard, it was like a quest.

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 pm

preoccupation wrote:Yes, and on the home page first on the list under 'About Forest' is Volunteering and when you open that, the three ways are listed. So, a hint and a suggestion that it's a good idea to volunteer perhaps?

Best

CJ
The answer should be short and unquestionable though, not a block of text!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

gaia wrote: The answer should be short and unquestionable though, not a block of text!
^ This.

"Three ways of volunteering" is much more annoying security question, as we then have to guess how people will answer/spell things and deal with frustrated users who could only think of two.

The current question is quite good and the answer used to be really easy to find on the main website. All that needs done is for the info to go back on the website.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 pm

if the question is just to stop bots then couldn't you just give the answer in the question? As in "What street...: Westport"
Maybe?
D x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

boletes

Post by boletes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

I think it should be on a scale of 1 to 40 how awesome am i? answer:37.6

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:47 pm

The idea was that the answer would be in some obvious About Forest section on the web pages. Bots might be smart enough (or patient enough) to pick it up if it's right there with the question.
I love the bomb.