monthly programme

birgit

monthly programme

Post by birgit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm

heyhey!

soo kata and me thought about new ways of promoting our events and we think it would be best to have a printed monthly programme instead of the weekly programme. Weekly events will still be posted on the website/fb/posters put up etc

we would like to make it as beautiful and nice and useful as possible but of course don't want to spend too much money on it. Here's an idea about how we would like to do it, any more ideas and things are very welcome :)
If we do it that way it would also fulfill the function of a flyer as it has all the important contacts and basic info about the forest on it...

Format:
A4 paper, folded into half -> A5 size

Paper vs Colour:
a.) Quality paper (not the regular A4 that you put on a table and in 10 minutes you can throw it away because it goes nasty...waste!) – black and white stuff
b.) Cheapest paper – stuff in colour

1.page (Front):
- title (e.g.: The Forest – Program – April)
- forest logo
- design (a different design/drawing of a different artist every month)
- little blurb saying something like: ’If you would like to see your design on our next monthly program, please send us your proposal to the xxx@theforest.org.uk. address before the 15th of March’

2-3 page (Calendar):
- 1 calendar on two pages (vertical/horizontal?)
- every day has it’s own square, saying what’s on that day (e.g. 13rd, Wednesday: 7-8pm: Gramophone hour, 8-late Golden Hour) etc.
- different typo/colour(?)/little sign for: workshops, events, fundraisers
- if there is a date which is not booked yet (an blank space in the calendar), put a little blurb with semi transparent letters saying something like: ’This is a free space for you to have your own event! Book it now!’
- little blurb on the bottom: ’To host your own event at the Forest, pop in and ask for the Events Book or send an e-mailt to the: events@theforest.org.uk address!’

4.page (back --Café, Forest Facilities, Contact):

1. Café:
- Little blurb on the Café, highlighting the possibility volunteering
- BYOB! (corkage prices maybe?)

2. Forest Facilities:
- One line description of all of them + corresponding e-mail? (Maybe too much of e-mail addresses)
- Cave
- Darkroom
- Screen-printing room
- Bristo Hall
- TK gallery
- Old Hat Books
- Snip and Sip
- Shop

3. Contact, location:
- map
- address
- phone
- website!!!

Additional stuff:
- stream of consciousness (a line at the bottom of each page that continuously tells a story or follows thoughts of someone throughout all the monthly programs)
- first proposal for the first days of March
- first issue for April
- distribution: 1 month just in the café, see the reactions, maybe put around somewhere else as well (out of the blue, word of mouth, brass monkey, eca, film house, etc.)
- first print 100 copies

ChaoticReality

Re: monthly programme

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Nice idea although I worry that it would get out of date quickly, as I can't imagine that anywhere near all the bookings are made before the first of the month.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

here's a link to how the Cowley Club does their monthly program:
http://www.cowleyclub.org.uk/?Bar_-_What%27s_On%3F

normally they just print it on A5 coloured paper with bare minimum details on it.
ours could be similar: they don't need to be snazzy just with maybe a forest logo & address on one side, and the other side packed with events and stuff. COOL.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:04 pm

I like that poster from the Cowley Club, and also their info sheet about putting on events!

I think one of the reasons we want to make a monthly programme is to encourage folks to sign up for events a bit earlier. Also, if it really is getting out of date quickly we could always print them in two batches for the cafe - one at the start of the month and an updated version midway.

I would really like to see a monthly programme again.

katymac

Post by katymac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Good idea, and if you're doing a weekly programme as well the last minute bookings still get a mention.

I think two colour digital printing is cheaper than full colour, so you could go for a slightly better grade of paper with a bit of colour.

ken

Post by ken » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 am

Around the size of print run you require, I suspect that silk screen is still the cheapest option. Especially with volunteer labour!
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds