Burrito recipe ideas

swithun

Burrito recipe ideas

Post by swithun » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I think that almost anything can go in a burrito. You need a reasonable mix of carbohydrates, protein and fresh vegetables. Stuff shouldn't be too dry so that it falls apart, or too wet so that it drips everywhere. And the mix shouldn't have overly big bits which prevent you getting an easy mouthful.

Rice is good because it is cheap and holds things together.
Scrambled tofu has a good texture and provides protein.
Fried potatoes give interesting texture and can add flavour if fried with spices.
Sliced avocado is big, but can be easily bitten off. Chunky guacamole also works.
Beans can be mixed in with other stuff, or as a seam running through the burrito.
Lettuce can provide some crunch and make the burrito lighter.
Baby spinach wilts a bit with the hot ingredients and provides a good texture.

I had quite a few burritos in California and Nevada. Lots of the places offered a choice of beans - black, pinto or refried. The salsas are very fine and hotter than ours. Eric tried liquidising our salsa, but I think there is too much tomato and juice, so it becomes very runny. I think that if the salsa is fine, it should be hot so that you don't need so much.

American burritos often come wrapped in foil, or come with nothing on the outside. I didn't think I'd like this, but I did - it makes it 'street' food. They are made with hot ingredients and rolled tight, rather than reheated, which makes them fragile and loose, requiring a plate. Cheese, if used, is put on the wrap first and melted a bit.

Using hot ingredients means that they can't be rolled in advance. But the filling can be microwaved and then rolled up, so it shouldn't be longer to make than just now.

martinmckenna

Re: Burrito recipe ideas

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Good research Swith,

I like the foil idea for takeaway, ive seen a few awkward moments as a burrito is throw in a box, not great. Developing a street burrito, might be interesting.

I like the ones served at the meeting. makes a nice change.

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Arren

Post by Arren » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Those spicy ones were pretty incredible. Liked the way they were folded around some sorta leaf. What was it? Would they be easy enough to make for us vollies and NMs?

ellenspence20

Post by ellenspence20 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 am

yummmm

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:10 am

The leaves were baby spinach. The heat came from a tiny amount of Angry Cock jolokia sauce. They don't have to be super spicy. The filling was rice, onion, tofu and fava beans.

They need to be rolled tight, as you don't want them to unravel if you're eating them on the hoof.

I like the idea of a Street Burrito, who wears Fila and a tin foil trackie.

katymac

Post by katymac » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Foil takeaway Good idea, will need to be cheaper though as no salad and trimmings.