next monday

swithun

next monday

Post by swithun » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Georgina was doing the events board and so I asked her to leave room for the as yet undecided film. I said it would start at 9. Duncan has 2 films that Magda suggested, so we could show those. One is quite short if I remember.

I'll sign up for an evening shift. We will close the kitchen at 9, give out free popcorn and tell people to go to the gold room if they don't want to watch the film. How does that sound?

beev

Post by beev » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm a bit miffed about the whole closing early thing. I'd like to think I could come in on a monday night and get something to eat if I wanted to (other than popcorn). I'm not saying that's more important than appreciating films as an art form, but I would question whether closing the kitchen is necessary. How about closing the coffee machine? There is no longer any dishwasher to disturb things...

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:25 pm

I know it seems a bit harsh to close the kitchen, but it seemed to be the simplest way to solve several problems related to ensuring the right atmosphere for the films. If there is a supply of food, then there will be people coming over to the kitchen to buy it. Plus people will have a non-film reason to be in the main room of the cafe. This, plus noise from the kitchen, creates distraction and people stop watching the film.

Also, we don't want volunteers talking in the kitchen - if they do then we can't expect the customers to keep quiet for the film. But, this makes it less fun to work in the kitchen, if you aren't so bothered about the film. So if the kitchen is closed, we don't need to have people working in the kitchen in silence.

I had been closing the kitchen or moving to the night menu/cakes and bagels only at 8 in November/December, so closing at 9 is an improvement.

From working the last few film nights, I have seen that if there are sources of distraction, they spread. We need to minimise these sources, so that we get enough customers who come for the film (and not just for the food). If someone comes in and sees a room full of people quietly watching the film, they are quieter too. If they come in and see people eating, talking and walking around, they will not be quiet.

It is true that the glasswasher is no longer noisy, and the coffee machine could be turned off early. But the microwaves, soup cauldrons and till all make noise too.

I was convinced that closing the kitchen was the simplest way to make people watch the films quietly. But someone might have new ideas.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:45 pm

it ok with me,

Magda

Post by Magda » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:23 pm

What are the two films?

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:10 pm

magda wrote:La Jetee + Sans Soleil - Chris Marker double bill. He is a great man.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:26 pm

events would like to know what the films are for january and february.. so we can make the posters!

january as soon as possible

february by the end of the month!

ta

Cjtrtis
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

lucky

Post by lucky » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 am

I agree it's cool to close up the kitchen for this. Maybe prep some sandwiches or that too so there's more substantial stuff to sell between films.

Maybe a good idea to mark it on the rota to make sure people don't sign up for a dancing about shift when it's a quieter one.

I suggest we make stickers saying 'I am a bad person and should think about what I've done' on them so if people are being disruptive we can go over to them, stick it over their mouths and kick them out until they think about what they've done. Then they can come back and grovel to be let in again.

Alex*