Old Hat Books reading parties

Joey Pesticide

Old Hat Books reading parties

Post by Joey Pesticide » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello all,

As a follow up to our Old Hat Books meeting of yesterday, we were wondering if it would be possible, from 6-8pm on the Wednesdays of our reading parties (which are planned for approximately monthly events, except in September) if we could place an aesthetically pleasing sign in the cafe door asking people to "please use the side door to get to cafe".

This is in order to prevent disruption to the readings. As you know, the front room is pretty much a corridor and so it can be hectic doing things in there with people walking to and fro and the door always opening and such. This is intended to allow a better use of the room for these events, making a more snug atmosphere and limiting "corridor" effect. The door would not be locked but there would be sign there.

If people could give us thoughts about this it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheerio!

Old Hat Books.

A GATHERING AND SYMPOSIUM CELEBRATING RADICAL DIY CULTURE & CREATIVE LIVING!
EDINBURGH-WIDE, FEBRUARY 5-8th 2009! DIYEDINBURGH@RISEUP.NET
WOULD YOU LIKE TO ORGANISE AN EVENT?

Shannon

Re: Old Hat Books reading parties

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Sounds good to me.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Poses no problems for me.
Matter of fact I look forward to it.
Joey you might like this site
http://mattins.shorttermmemoryloss.com/
Pep Up The Turmoil

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 pm

this is potentially super annoying for the golden hour crowd / performers which starts at 8. I'd prefer not. Further, I always think it is best to keep the lobby / hall bt as little known as possible as it encourages random wanderings --- thought -- on both accounts I may be being paranoid.
r

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:42 am

Just to point out that also every Wednesday is 78's from 7-8.
I think what old hat books do is amazing and should be supported but maybe there is another solution/day/time for these events. I agree that having the front room as a snug is a great idea but maybe is not possible especially later on (after 7 once the hairdressers is closed) as it promotes the building being more open, by that i mean kitchen people not seeing who is coming and going, which generally is fine but can and has been a problem.
hope this finds a suitable solution.

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm

It seems to me that a solution could be met with the following considerations:

1. Changing the time of the readings to coincide with the foyer outside Sip and Snip being open (i.e. running from 5-7pm) which would remove unnecessary attention to the foyer outside of working hours. Old Hat Books may be into this, although it makes the events slightly less accessible for the hard working people of this world.

2. Not always being on the same day as Golden Hour. However, can we please remind Ryan that no event should have unspoken priority for use of the Forest spaces on certain dates. Also, personal agendas should be as limited as possible for decisions that may make the Forest a better place). I remember clearly that the OHB readings were booked in the events book prior to the Golden Hour (Ryan, I'll pitch you with a badger in a fight to the death in a skip if you claim this not to be true), and so it is possible not to have them on the same day. Old Hat Books would be into working to avoid this if neccessary, although I personally think Ryan's claim is unfounded (in your face Big Man) as anyone coming to/performing in Golden Hour is highly unlikely to be perturbed by a sign of this nature.

3. The foyer is already accessible and obvious in Sip and Snip/Massage Corner hours, so this proposal would not bring more undue attention to the space.

4. OHB proposed to Kim to sometimes combine the readings with 78s from 7-8pm, but he politely declined as he likes to keep it a constant.

I think the initial stage may be changing the times of the events from 5-7pm, so we can talk about this with Old Hat Books if people think that this may mean that directing people to the side door is less offensive.

Thanks!

Old Hat Books.

p.s. it may be also good if people feed back to Old Hat Books collective in person to further discuss this, as this proved useful with Stephen the other day.

p.p.s. posting here is fun, come and grab me if you need to talk further.

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Joey Pesticide wrote: I remember clearly that the OHB readings were booked in the events book prior to the Golden Hour (Ryan, I'll pitch you with a badger in a fight to the death in a skip if you claim this not to be true), and so it is possible not to have them on the same day.
In the hope of rallying up some kind of badger fight, I'd like to put forward that the "penultimate wednesday of every month" has been claimed for the GH since about four years ago and ever-on into perpetuity in much the same fashion as the last saturday of august has been earmarked for The Happenning since records began.

fight!
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 am

This may be true. But I am a humble "commoner" who has never been to Golden Hour and doesn't know the intricate workings of certain communities or, if we're not shy, cliques, based around the Forest. I could be compared to the average person walking through the door. As a result, I was not aware that it was written in stone that Golden Hour had laid claim to these days, as it does not appear in any publicity that I have seen and I had not exerted the appropriate energies to correctly assess whether or not it was just coincidence. To be honest, I don't really think about it at all.

Could I propose this is made more clear for people who aren't so familiar.

However, the latter half of point 3 still needs consideration.

So, how do we come to a decision on this thing?

p.s. I apologise for the snotty nature of all of my posts, I'm just being inflammatory.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:08 am

hey man -- I said I may be being paranoid.who knows what will happen. It is in my nature to say yes to as much as possible and I have no beef with old hat wanting to do stuff on wed. and it probably could feed in really well to what the gh does --- which is cool / awesome.

all i worry about is creating more stress and confusion on what is always a stressful and confused time for me. Setting up the gh means a very quick turn around from the 78s, re-arranging tables and chairs, dealing with half a dozen to a dozen confused performers, stressing about sound engineers and i don't immediately like the idea that people won't be able to go in and out of the front door. But, like I said, maybe it isn't a big deal -- but that's my concern as it stands.

and yes, you did get the booking into the book first and no, there is no info regarding this as a regular event. i try to book up the gh when a new events book comes out for 6 - 8 months ahead. it has been done now -- but often there is confusion after new years and after festival. sorry about that.

um - i am happy with compromise and am willing to try anything you guys feel might work. and if it stresses us both out we can talk about other solutions. cool?
r

Joey Pesticide

Post by Joey Pesticide » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 am

Sick. No beef Big Man, I'm just probing.

I'll be proposing a change to 5-7pm at our next meeting anyways, because it may make more sense like that.

Stay free.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 am

Yay to Mr Pesticide on the bb! More of that, please. It makes me work days amusing.