toilet mural

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
beev

toilet mural

Post by beev » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:17 am

Yo,

Is it true that the painting in the downstairs toilets is to be removed? Surely shome mishtake? The painting is excellent. The more I look at it, the more brilliant it is. There is some story going around that the paint didn't dry properly and so it would have to be removed. Sounds like bullshit to me!

The toiletsdownstairs now look better than ever before. If somebody else has some great mural they want to paint, there are plenty of other walls available downstairs. There is no need to destroy this beautiful work.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:49 am

is not bullshit, she used screenprinting ink, to paint some of her picture, not only is this stuff fucking expensive, but it needs to be heated to a high temperature to set... so it will never dry... she fucked up, and should be punished (before we get started the punished bit is a joke).
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

beev

Post by beev » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:21 pm

how high need temperature to be, and for how long?

Nevadanteater

Post by Nevadanteater » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:25 am

beev.

1. parts of the painting will not dry.

2. i told anna to DRAW me a sample of her work before painting anything.

3. i told other people that i would look at many people's work and we'd choose a few, not let the first to get the paint do it.

4. tess okayed the painting w/o seeing any plans/drawings or talking to me.

5. i probably would have (and will) let her do some painting, but not where it is.

5. the mural is mediocre at best. i am not an artist, i could have done that thing. i don't mind the thing, but the forest is an arts-collective, we can do better!

6. sorry, but the tree as a goddess? hugely cliche. again, the forest can do (and deserves) better.

7. if someone added something to mikey's mural, would he have the right to take it down? although this isn't exactly the same, this was (is) my project. i made sure the bathroom got cleaned/painted...i think i have somewhat of the right to say what comes/goes, no?
God is great.
Grass is gentler.

TheCross

Post by TheCross » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:04 pm

Take it down, spill some paint on it, do what ever it takes.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Absolutely, take it down.

The paint drying is just a side issue. The bathroom was already a very interesting space and this has just taken it over.

The whole notion of a 'free space' gets massively overused and it's not even really a term we used in the early days of the forest. People get to do stuff in the Forest because it's good and interesting, and other people might appreciate it, not just to indulge themselves, which I tend to think this sort of decoration is.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with murals anyway. I like nice simple single colour walls. Art can be in the atmosphere of a place and the thoughts it puts in people minds without having to be laid out in such a limited and explicit fashion.

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:33 pm

If this is a petition, here's one more to the list. Spontaneity has its place, but the bathroom's not where to inspire it. :twisted: Let those who've invested the most in it decide its direction. It took several days to get that room to that calming emerald green state following the normal conventions of letting paint DRY between coatings. And relief is no substitute for DEPTH in art.

Nevadanteater

Post by Nevadanteater » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Duncan wrote:I don't know why people are so obsessed with murals anyway. I like nice simple single colour walls.
which was the original plan for the sink room, plain walls - the toilets were to have some crazy murals, but maybe i'll just stick to some simple color theory practice...
God is great.
Grass is gentler.

Chisholm

Post by Chisholm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:36 am

I'm sure anna had the best intentions, but surely you can see, beev, that there is one outstanding issue...it will not dry without paying money to forcibly dry it...she used the wrong materials...

So, if you think about it, when theres something like that which you have to spend money on to preserve (or in this case keep from becoming a smudged mess) there has to be an evaluation...

Problem is, its rank.

I say don't dry it, burn it...it is a tree afterall.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:29 pm

destroy it.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.