Edinburgh university building Occupied for Gaza!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
dan

Edinburgh university building Occupied for Gaza!

Post by dan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Dear friends,

Around 30 students of Edinburgh Unviersity are currently peacefully occupying George Square Lecture Theatre in protest at Israel's actions in Gaza, and to encourage the University to accept a list of demands which were put to them in the form of a petition this morning. The petition has been signed by more than 300 students at Edinburgh University.

The demands are as follows:

* That the university suspend all relations with companies enabling the conflict and/or occupation, including Eden Springs (contingent on access to information to establish which other companies are implicated)

* That the university divest from BAE Systems, MBDA, QinetiQ, Rolls Royce and all other "arms and defence" manufacturers whose products are proven to be in use by the Israeli military

* That the university make scholarships available to students trapped in Gaza, unable to study for university qualifications because of restrictions on them and their institutions, in violation of international human rights law

* That the university collect and ship donations of unused property to war-damaged Gazan schools and hospitals (e.g. text-books, chairs, computers)

* That the university provide logistical and financial support for a series of informative lectures on the Palestine/Israel question

We also request that no legal, financial or academic measures be taken against those participating in, or supporting, a peaceful sit-in to ensure our calls are answered.

As members of this university we feel these are measured and necessary steps to show our opposition to Israel's catastrophic use of force against, and continued blockading of, innocent Palestinians in Gaza.

Students turning up to join the sit-in are now not being allowed in by University security staff, and those who leave are not allowed back in.

The following message has been sent around by the students inside:

'Action! At least 30 students have occupie George Square Lecture Theatre. We are creating an informative creative space inside and have given our demands to the principal. We are currently locked in. Spread the word, and come show solidarity!'
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ChaoticReality

Re: Edinburgh university building Occupied for Gaza!

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Only people with an EU Matriculation card are being allowed in by security.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...