The Trial/Touch of Evil

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Fils d'Abeille

The Trial/Touch of Evil

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:25 pm

forest dwellers,

I suppose the following message is of principle concern to Nick and Magda because you (as in they) organise the film night on mondays.
I have just purchased these two films and they should arrive within a couple of days. I thought it might be interesting to view them as a double bill as a tentative presentation of Orson Welles in his directorial capacity. they're both interesting as examples of his later directorial work (before Hollywood producers grew tired of his repeated attempts to bankcrupt them with boxoffice flops). They're also good choices because so many of us have already seen Citizen Kane. Moreover, so many among these hate it to the point that its very mention sends shivers down their spines. I can respect these people, I just choose to dislike them.
Anyway, I have very fond memories of The Trial. It really captures the spirit of the novel, while, as I remember it, building on it in a way only cinema can achieve. I haven't seem Touch of Evil and so cannot vouch for it. It's worth a viewing if only for the opening; an uncut sequence extending to over three minutes. Such a passage was revolutionary for its time, both stylistically and technically, and Welles' long and hard fought struggle to keep the passage is an ideal display of his relentless altercation with his financial backers and his insistence on artistic innovation over commercial imperatives.

Anyway, can we show these some time?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Happening this coming Monday (Feb 27th) I believe.
I love the bomb.