I hereby apologise...

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
RachelMcCrum

I hereby apologise...

Post by RachelMcCrum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:41 am

...sortof...for constantly sh-sh-sh-shushing every volunteer or customer who has been in Forest over the past couple of days for the spoken word events.

Right now, we (I) feel like an arse with the constant finger to the lips and we're (I'm) not enjoying it at all, and we (we) completely appreciate that the Cafe still needs to function as a cafe, taking food orders, handing out food orders, dealing with customers etc.

But...it's a thing of having respect for the people who have got on stage to read or perform or whatever they're doing. And trust me, they notice when it's noisy. For those who have got up before, it's distracting; for those who are getting up to do something for the first time, it's usually a really, really big deal for them to even get up there, and customers chatting or kitchen vollies walking through the cafe calling with plates of food for Bob is really offputting.

So please - because we genuinely hate having to constantly do it , and it's because it's a matter of making it as good as possible for anyone who has had the balls to get on stage - be as quiet as possible for them when they're up there (and if anyone wants to tell people ordering food to keep it down and respect the readers, that would also be fucking on point). Because otherwise it's just a bit fucking disrespectful. Although you're generally allowed to talk over Harry (apart from when he's reading cool stuff.).

Thank you. If you disagree, slap me once this week is over.

xx
'I will meet you at Up-To-No-Good.'

boletes

Re: I hereby apologise...

Post by boletes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am

I felt the same way on friday when I was playing, just like background noise but I took it as the festival vibe and not a thing of disrespect. Though it really does suck when you're trying to put you're heart out there and people are yelling over the top of it. I didn't have the guts to shush them though...I just got off the stage :p

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I think it is always a tough space the cafe performance thing.
Sorry to hear that you felt to leave the stage Boletes, i actually missed your set due to running around i think.
I think its okay to ask people to be quiet, it is hard with the way we deliver meals to people.
don't feel to bad about it Rachel I'm sure people will understand.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:58 pm

you could run these quiet events in the basement, then you will get an appreciative and respectful audience. Constant shhing makes it an unpleasent experience for everybody.??
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Chris has a good point.

We should utilize the downstairs more. The caves are empty. The vollie crib is.. really nice, but maybe could be utilized better.... And it would make so many performers feel safer... and would give a really nice intimate feel which i've always loved - esp for performace, spoken word and acoustic sets... it would feel so nice and cozie.
wet, dirty and dangerous.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 pm

It's almost always just two or three people making a noise, and the shushing hasn't been constant. The vast majority of the audiences are already quiet and respectful. Last night when our good pals Zorras asked a couple of people to be quiet, there was a huge cheer from the audience, because they're annoyed with the talkers too. Sometimes people just have to be reminded that it's not cool to talk over a performer, especially when their performance is words. Often there are people chatting in the café when the front room is empty. If you want to chat, go there! This applies to volunteers as much as customers. Being a vollie doesn't give you a be-rude-to-performers voucher. We're an arts space.

boletes

Post by boletes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm not taking it to heart or anything :) i've had way more good experiances than bad ones here. I agree with the use of downstairs for poems/quite acoustic acts though - for the festival time anyway I think it would have a better atmosphere :)

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I think we should have both!

Performances EVERYWHERE!!!!

(squee!)

I'll make some friendly signs urging people to keep the talking to the front room or outside, during performances....- this could also go for performers, who need to respect other performers. I had to ask some band on friday to wait to get their equipment off till after Hailey had finished her song. They said sorry but they had to catch a train... but they 15 min later, they were still in there (rude motherfuckers). I hate that when people do that. ... but will make a nice sign being like 'hey guys! It's hard being up here, please be quiet cause this is scarey... and stay off the stage until we're done' thanks! or something

But we should totally get stuff on in the basement- we've got this great space, lets use it!!!
wet, dirty and dangerous.

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:44 pm

brittonie wrote:
But we should totally get stuff on in the basement- we've got this great space, lets use it!!!
totally up for it but not the vollie crib.
that place is a madness-free-tranquility-quietness-bubble. we really really need it :|
only when the clock stops does time come to life

boletes

Post by boletes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:57 pm

brittonie wrote: I had to ask some band on friday to wait to get their equipment off till after Hailey had finished her song. They said sorry but they had to catch a train... but they 15 min later, they were still in there (rude motherfuckers). I hate that when people do that. ...

Yeah they came on stage mid song for me too - could have easily waited between hailey and myself to collect their stuff :)

We should fill the 'keep quite' sign with violent threats! nobody will see it coming....all im saying.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

brittonie wrote:I think we should have both!

Performances EVERYWHERE!!!!
I agree. But this is happening more and more as August goes on, but we don't have to do everything straight away.

Inky Fingers is already putting on drop-in film screenings in Cave 2, inhabiting th action room Thursday night and Friday, and running performances is the stairwell, so I'm lairy of us taking over any more space! Cave 1 currently has all the spare music equipment in it -- might be handy to be able to use it for that. And aye, the vollie crib *must* be sacrosanct -- we need an escape.
I'll make some friendly signs urging people to keep the talking to the front room or outside, during performances.
Nice. Having a compere remind people in a friendly way is also good, as is volunteers helping by not talking themselves.

It's worth remembering that when two people start with a conversation, more people think it's OK, and the vvolume gets louder and louder as more people try to be heard over each other. That's why it's whispers only.

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 am

Margarida wrote:
brittonie wrote:

totally up for it but not the vollie crib.
that place is a madness-free-tranquility-quietness-bubble. we really really need it :|

So say we all!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

gaia

Post by gaia » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:12 pm

In defence of kitchen vollies: sometimes you just can't wait 10 minutes until a performance is finished to deliver the food - food preparation is already a lot slower in August due to the high number of orders, and people understandably don't like waiting half an hour to get their burrito, which will by then be cold because you had to wait for the performer to finish. And when the café is that packed it's basically impossible to remember who ordered the Nth falafel burger.
But burrito shouts aside, I agree and understand and please feel free to remind me to shut up if I'm being too loud! :wink:

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:52 pm

gaia wrote:In defence of kitchen vollies: sometimes you just can't wait 10 minutes until a performance is finished to deliver the food - food preparation is already a lot slower in August due to the high number of orders, and people understandably don't like waiting half an hour to get their burrito, which will by then be cold because you had to wait for the performer to finish. And when the café is that packed it's basically impossible to remember who ordered the Nth falafel burger.
But burrito shouts aside, I agree and understand and please feel free to remind me to shut up if I'm being too loud! :wink:
This I do sympathise with, and am trying to help by encouraging people to order before the show or in the breaks, which should minimise things.