'Suitcase Series'

mirja

'Suitcase Series'

Post by mirja » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 pm

HI guys,
i'm thinking about calling for this one, as we talked about it in a past meeting.
(if/when it develops, could be found all under this topic?)

What you think of this blurb?

OPPORTUNITIES –

“Suitcase Series” at TOTALKUNST Gallery, Edinburgh, UK

TotalKunst is a lively artist-run gallery at the heart of Edinburgh city centre. We are inviting proposals for our ongoing gallery project “Suitcase Series” that plays with notions of distance, space, location, interpretation and interaction. The work consists of instructions sent to us for altering or otherwise using the gallery space, which we will undertake, set up and interpret according to the parameters set by you. We will produce documentation of this process that will then be sent back to you. We will also cover all publicity for your exhibition. While we are welcoming all kinds of proposals in all media, due to the location of our gallery in a high traffic area of the city we are particularly suited for work that involves audience participation. For more information, please email:
**here - which email should be used?**

http://www.theforest.org.uk/totalkunst

there should be a stock letter to be sent out to the inquiries that would include details of the space ( blueprint) and general info that would tell them about the variable duration of the slots, about possibility to negotiate a SMALL amount of postage if they need to send something, about the gallery being non-invigilated so if there is some sent material or interactive bits, they need to take this into account ( for example limiting the time of the interaction so that somebody from us can be there - i would not mind, for example) ...
I will write this and post here.

any ideas where to advertise,
i have so far:

criticalnetwork
artquest
visual artists ireland
artservis forum
CAA opportunities
artdeadlines
artshow
wooloo
artjob
artcalendar
artsmatrix
hi-arts
artreview com
re-title com
artsconnect.com.au
axisweb

...to start with. There are some U.S , european and australian ones here too, that might be interesting. Who knows...?

martinmckenna

Re: 'Suitcase Series'

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm

the email to use i would think is the submission one . also get them to put "Suitcase Series"

if you want to organize this it may be better that you just register an email for it . or maybe we could set up a forest.co.uk one and forward it to ether your account or to the tk box

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

mirja

Post by mirja » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am

update,
have received inquiries for this from all around the world, about 30 so far
have sent out more info, so hopefully we would get 3-4 doable ones out of this.
that would be good for a year...
we'll see, i'll keep you posted

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am

Great news - well done - I saw it on the re-title newsletter last week...
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

mirja

a bit urgent...

Post by mirja » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:59 am

HI guys, proposals are starting to come in and there are some really nice ones, but there is one guy that just contacted me and its a bit urgent.
i think this proposal would be great for the space, but it also might be a fantastic one for the open night thingy at the festival, as it involves opening of boxes and communal EATING. always nice...
i think he might be also able to be there. i'm not sure but the thing is he is in newcastle now and could come up to see the space. i need to call him on his mobile and i would do it tonight but i would like to get some consensus on if i can talk about the open night for the festival? hmm.
ok, what i need to do is , with apologies, to send the prop to your emails, if you have time to look at it let me know what you think, and I will call him tonight ( sat 14th)

mirja

Post by mirja » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:33 pm

eh, more...

I've been having an unexpectedly lively, on some occasions in-your-face correspondence with interested people, and some quite bizarre inquiries, so i have put together two stock letters to send out, i'm attaching them here just for general FYI.

Please let me know if I have taken artistic license here...
TotalKunst-SuitcaseSeries.doc
the second one goes out only to the people that have really interesting stuff and are pros and have detailed questions. the staff invigilation and equipment mentioned can be covered by me , so i offer it in case the proposal is really good...
TotalKunst-SuitcaseSeries.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:16 pm

its all very good . it can be taxing dealing with the emails , i think it would be good to have a projects page on the new web site , and this project should have a page of its own . do you want one ?

martin
Heaven is a disaster

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:19 pm

also you should register for the new site

http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/

martin
Heaven is a disaster

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:00 pm

agree with martin a project page would be good.

Both documents are great, we should think about including parts of the text on the new website.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.