sound rota online?

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
Jessy

sound rota online?

Post by Jessy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether we could revolutionize the sound rota and put it on the internet? maybe something similar to the cave booking system.
The sound engineers would be much more likely to sign up for shifts on their own and everyone would have access to it, which might be useful.

What do you think? Anyone willing/able to do such a thing? I could do it as well, but someone needs to show me how.

ChaoticReality

Re: sound rota online?

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I can probably throw something together without too much difficulty. Watch this space.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm

i've been working on a new forest website in the last couple of weeks including anon event submission and coordinator moderation. the basics are up but it needs to be themed properly. a sound team rota could be linked in to it.

http://forest.dev3.webenabled.net

create an account;

http://forest.dev3.webenabled.net/user/register

it could be made so that sound team members could have accounts and certain permissions so that they could link themselves with event content that doesn't have an existing link. all events and sound member links could be displayed in an overview page. i don't have the time to work on it today though.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 pm

this sounds smart
it's good to have a record somewhere in the cafe though so that when a band asks the kitchen crew if there's a sound person rota'd on then we can answer!
sweet as. love you soundbots!
x

gaia

Post by gaia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am

[OT] Alas, if only we could have an online kitchen rota. Especially cos it's gone missing. AGAIN. [/OT]

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:38 am

milk wrote:<drupal>

I think that's too complicated a solution for what is essentially a very simple problem.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

iain

Post by iain » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm

gaia wrote:[OT] Alas, if only we could have an online kitchen rota. Especially cos it's gone missing. AGAIN. [/OT]
My old job had an online rota, it was cool. You'd need it accessible from the kitchen or nearby though. Maybe with a snazzy touchscreen monitor. /pipe dreams

gaia

Post by gaia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:33 pm

iain wrote:
My old job had an online rota, it was cool. You'd need it accessible from the kitchen or nearby though. Maybe with a snazzy touchscreen monitor. /pipe dreams
Thought about that - but yeah. Even if I managed to implement one, we would spill coffee on it at least 2 times a day.

milk

Post by milk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:50 pm

ChaoticReality wrote:
milk wrote:<drupal>

I think that's too complicated a solution for what is essentially a very simple problem.
conversely, i think you'd be making things harder by not using an application framework to build this kind of thing, both in terms of time and future development.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm

the relevant info required by kitchen vollies could be displayed on a monitor near the kitchen with easy to read layout, suitably enlarged font, etc?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 pm

No future development needed, it's just something simple. Reading and writing a few fields to a database. Don't need a framework for that. In terms of time, I'm saying less than an hour to write the whole thing from scratch. How long will it take to get it running on Drupal, get all the permissions set up, etc?
Mike

milk

Post by milk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

i've just implemented it, could do with a few tweaks though, like changing it from checkboxs to an autocomplete (with real name) text box. that and it could send out e-mails if required? and make the moderation table text a smaller font...

http://forest.dev3.webenabled.net/user

moderator demo:
u: demomod
p: demomod

sound team member demo
u: demosound
d: demosound

http://forest.dev3.webenabled.net/admin/events - lists all events in a table with details plus sound team user relationship. only mod should see this. a mod can add a sound team member to an event, and a sound team member has permission to add themselves to an event.

Jessy

Post by Jessy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm

awesome, thank you so much! so, how can I become a mod/sound team member?

milk

Post by milk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:09 pm

your account is now a moderator and sound team member.