issue to follow up from Saturday 23 April gig in cafe

katymac

issue to follow up from Saturday 23 April gig in cafe

Post by katymac » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am

Morning all,

Margarida and I would really appreciate it if someone would follow up what happened with the lead singer of the 3rd band who played last night (don't know his name - he called himself 'a poet from Burnley').

I would say he was dismissive of us when we told him (very politely, twice) that he couldn't play the copyrighted songs on the CD he had brought in, telling us to relax and not bother about it, and calling us "jobsworths". At the end of the night we discovered his friends had drunk a bottle of Buckfast in the cafe, even though we had earlier told them they couldn't. I said to them I was "disappointed to find they had done this" (those were my exact words - I was totally non-confrontational; since it was too late to stop them, we decided just to try to make them feel guilty). He overheard and became pretty confrontational and challenging towards me, and among quite a lot else told me I was being a "Nazi".

So, just another Saturday night washing dishes, making nachos and running my fascist dictatorship.

Anyway, I think we more or less made our points and hopefully they won't bring Buckie or copyrighted music again. However, I feel he was pretty disrespectful to us as individuals, and to the Forest as a whole, and obviously the "Nazi" comment is particularly out of order (though does mean he automatically lost his argument - Godwin's law). If it hadn't been the end of the night, I think we would have asked him to leave, but I felt this wouldn't have much impact when we were asking everyone else to leave too. So I would really appreciate if someone could do some sort of follow up email or phone call.

Finally, we don't seem to have anything in writing to tell people they can't drink Buckfast in the cafe, and I actually only found out this was a rule when I did the night manager training the other day. I can change the menu text, but I think lots of people who are in for a drink at night don't look at the menu. I wonder if we should have a couple of posters about the BYOB policy on the walls too? I feel sorry for people who've bought something they can't drink because they didn't know.

[posters with rules, maybe I am an officious jobsworth]

Cheers m'dears. Here's to happier customers tonight...

Katy x

Margarida

Re: issue to follow up from Saturday 23 April gig in cafe

Post by Margarida » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm

+1...
only when the clock stops does time come to life

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 pm

I totally back that up.

That guy was a douche.

Granted i was in a mood last night- but i left angry watching him talk to Katy like that.

*so angry*

She was very nice and totally resonable (as always) and he talked down to her and had a complete aura of bad attitude and body language... and his teenager friends were rude too.

If it is followed up i'm guessing somewhere between head of sound/ KMs....??
wet, dirty and dangerous.

alba

Post by alba » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Very tacky

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Is it forbidden to drink Buckfast?

Haven't been NM for a while and I remember seeing a lot of folks drinking it so ... forbidden or not?

This guy sounds like a real pain, we should spread the word and make sure he never does that again, its a total lack of respect and consideration for all the volunteers who give their time and energy to keep the Forest alive and running.

Do we have his contact details or something? Some kind of official letter could be sent to him? Any charity would do that I reckon, but any charity usually means a big national charity with some Chairman or headquarters to whom you can complain... Forest is people, not a big chairman... so we should all stick together and remind that guy it is really not nice to call people "nazis", and that abuse to volunteers is NOT tolerated FULL STOP :)

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Regarding the 'Nazi' nonsense, it seldom advances an argument does it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum
A point I am interested in is, is Buckfast outlawed inhouse, perhaps I missed the meeting, that sounds a little heavy handed to me
For the record the guy in question sounded like a plank and you handled it about as best as is possible.

Some Buckielinks

The Buckfast Code
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfBaGZD9 ... r_embedded

The woman who loved Buckfast so much she had it tattooed on her leg
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -22785216/
Pep Up The Turmoil

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 am

I don't know about the buckfast, but the kid didn't pay corkage on it either, and then no one at the table took responsibility for it, and when asked to do so, they slowly sort of slinked out of the building.

The nazi calling guy just decided he was going to get involved and be a dick, as if he had some magical powers of cool and control. He should have a warning for his behaviour, me thinks.
wet, dirty and dangerous.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:01 am

Isn't the Buckfast issue that it's a fortified wine, so it's too high alcohol strength, and thus causesa licensing issue? Or did I misunderstand?

gaia

Post by gaia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

HGiles wrote:Isn't the Buckfast issue that it's a fortified wine, so it's too high alcohol strength, and thus causesa licensing issue? Or did I misunderstand?
Correct, that's what we tell all Night Managers at the training (Anne-Sophie was trained in remote and less organized times!)

boletes

Post by boletes » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Im amazed nobody lashed out :p you guys are way to peaceful :)

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Ive seemed to missed the meeting on buckfast too. It not a licensing issue as far as I am aware for us.

It may be worth noting that we do have PRS disco license, Which covers the occasional playing of music that is PRS protected. I have the sticker in office.This is to cover us for DJ.s and music played between bands ect. Not for playing shit on the jutebox via opening hours.

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

nix

Post by nix » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:17 pm

HGiles wrote:Isn't the Buckfast issue that it's a fortified wine, so it's too high alcohol strength, and thus causesa licensing issue?
as far as I remember, this is correct, I remember talking about this at the licencee training, and that beer and wine are allowed under our BYOB Cafe thing, but not anything stronger than 13%.

also as long as I have been at forest it has been a concious policy decision to not allow Bucky as it has the habit of making folk Radge.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Not sure about banning of buck fast, it was scoutts favourite tipple after all. I don't think it is a fortified wine, well apart from the fortification with caffeine. I think if people will get Radge they will regardless of the buckie or not. Your average red wine now a days is 14 to 15%, so there is some grey area here, fortified i think means sugars have been added to increase the alcohol level beyond what could naturally be fermented, not sure if this applies to the buckfast. I never remember this being an issue, it is more peoples behaviour that is an issue here. As far as i am aware the band never even signed up in the event book and if the are unwilling to listen to what volunteers are saying and using the old nazi slur, remember kids a fascist is some who says no, as one person once decide to tell me, then that is the issue here, people should not be getting drunk to the point where they pass out. Yes the disco music is a tough one to come to a clear idea about, what exactly does the licence say, disco music, i think we should use that more often, disco music how many times, between bands, would be good to have clarity on this exactly somewhere. Okay that's enough from me.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 pm

good points stephen.

Maybe a mixture of copyrighted music and buck fast together is the real problem here.

But seriously... Ill look into the License for music. but i reckon it goes like this. The forest policy is that the jutebox should be filled only with music that is not PRS protected. This is music that is made by people who are not registered with PRS.

Occasionally as we do now, PRS registered music can be played, as in DJ's sets ect. This is what the licence covers. It does state a certain amount of times we can do this,but to my knowledge it has never been an issue. Pretty hard to police on their part.

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

katymac

Post by katymac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for responses and to Martin for looking into this - I thought these were settled points; we only got into it with that guy and his friends because we thought thems were the rules. I have no strong feelings on either point, but I know I don't want to be getting into arguments I don't need to be having. Despite the impression I obviously gave our singer, laying down rules is not my idea of a good time.

Whatever else comes of this, I would still appreciate it (if we have a contact for the guy) if someone would contact him simply to say if he wants to play future gigs he needs to be nice to vollies. It's nice to be nice.

Kx