room booking URL

swithun

room booking URL

Post by swithun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 am

Web dudes - the new fangled room booking system is online at http://theforest.org.uk/cavebooking/. It has this URL so that links to the old Cave system still work. But it now handles all facilities bookings. Can there be a single URL that all facilities can use, or should there be different URLs pointing to the same place? The "/cavebooking" URL is in fact a sym link to "/booking" already.

chombee

Re: room booking URL

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Are you asking me to change a link on the website?

Currently there is a link to /cavebooking on the cave page.

The church hall, darkroom and screenprinting pages do not have any links to booking systems.

http://blog.theforest.org.uk/cave
http://blog.theforest.org.uk/hall
http://blog.theforest.org.uk/darkroom
http://blog.theforest.org.uk/screenprinting

If you want one URL for the booking system then I can put a link to that URL on each of the above pages.

I think different URLs that go to the same thing might be smart, as then if we ever do want a different page/system for say the darkroom in the future it will be easy to slot it in.

I suggest:

http://theforest.org.uk/cavebooking/
http://theforest.org.uk/hallbooking/
http://theforest.org.uk/darkroombooking/
http://theforest.org.uk/screenprintingbooking/

But maybe I am being silly.

Anyway, you decide and then tell me what links you want on what pages.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm

PS I have thoughts on a new layout for the website that I hopefully maybe might be able to work on this weekend. If I do so I'll try to make the links to the facilities pages more prominent. Currently the Forest Projects icons take up too much vertical space and push the facilities links down below the fold, and also the Projects are all graphical and the facilities aren't. It can probably be done better.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

It probably makes sense for the different facilities to have different pages on blog.thforest.org.uk, as the initiation process is different for each facility. From these pages, they can all link to the same booking system, but using different URLs, to future-proof themselves. While they are using the current system, it is easy to create sym links.

So, the people in charge of the different facilities should produce content for their blog pages. And Chris and I can then bring their booking systems on line.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Ok, can you bring the booking systems online/make the symlinks first and then I'll put the links on the web pages?

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

you guys are great!
xo
wet, dirty and dangerous.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:22 pm

this system is really cool.

thanks nix, mike, chris and swithun.

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Looks good. But are people using the screenprinting booking when they should? I think the EVS are doing something in there on Sunday but from the booking sheet it looks like the room is available.

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I only wrote the thing. People in charge of the rooms need to crack the whip. But I've no idea if the screen printing room is ready for rent, or only just about usable.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:15 pm

I know it's not your thing Swith, I just thought the people in the know might read this thread...

chris

Post by chris » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm

it has no users on the system, so currently its all fine :)
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Lien

Post by Lien » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Shannon wrote:I know it's not your thing Swith, I just thought the people in the know might read this thread...
Yes, Monday was a drop-in, to print the Aprons.
Will use the currentsystem for the workshop :)

L

chombee

Post by chombee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:25 pm

There are already pages with text for cave, darkroom, screenprinting and hall, I just need to know what URLs those pages should have links to for the booking system.

The /cavebooking and /darkroombooking links seem to work. Should I edit the cave and darkroom pages to point to those booking system pages?

/hallbooking and /screenprintingbooking don't work.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:13 am

I've created a sym link from bookings to screenprintingbooking.

I think the hall isn't going to use the new system yet, or is it, Chris?

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:01 pm

the hall will not be on the new system.

screenprinting is a bit of a tricky one, but it should point to the new room system, probably the screenprinting page needs to be re-written. As I am slowly realising the trouble with screenprinting is that all the materials are very expensive, easily spent or damaged, and it is quite a labour of love to learn, and requires quite a bit of time commitment for non-experienced people to get the hang of it. really it needs to have dedicated people looking after the room and training people how to use it, maybe we can get into this position?? i'm not sure...

Chris xxxxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:52 pm

could you put whatever the old screenprint info was? and its £4 an hour.. cheers

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm

"maybe we could get into this position..."

Lien and Birgit have really been committed to dealing with the SP room. I think they just need a little support and encouragement (this could be in person or via email but would be great if it came from chris) to really take the jump.

I have also raised my hand enthusiastically to help coordinate the artist facilities. I am around, i am responcible, i have experience and want to see more art happening.(yeay art!) Perhaps Chris, Lien, Birgit and I- maybe Stevie could all have a day where we get together in that room and go over everything... ??

second... The darkroom booking system has some problems. I've accepted a few people into the system, but have recieved emails from a few people saying they still cannot change anything. Last i was on some of the enlargers were only "open" on wednesdays. which is not the case.

enlargers 1-4 are available mon- fri from 10am-11pm
after 5pm on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays due to workshop/dempos
after 6pm on Sundays until mid may due to Alt process course

thanks! xx:)

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:43 pm

that sounds really good, hopefully we can "get into this position..."!

I'm well up for doing more stuff with you guys, I'm away for a week, so we can do it when i'm back, and i think stevie is maybe gonna do another one day course in may some time too. BUT everything is in the room, and there is a really good book on how to do stuff, and the internet is full of all this info too. so yeah, please get on it!

on the room booking system:

first you have to set users to "regular" and hit update, one by one for each room, then last, you need to change their status from "validated" to "active"

ah! I have just realised that as "room admin" your options were a too limited (uselessly so!), I have changed you to full admin, so you can change all this stuff much better :)

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

ROCK rock rock rock and roll!

many thanks to you Mr Palmer! woo!

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Dr Palmer

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Hot.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm

If there is some sort of documentation manual for the screenprinting room, could I have it to put on the website? Sounds good, and I am always looking for stuff to fill out the facilities pages.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Someone involved in the screenprinting room needs to rewrite the text for that page, please:

http://blog.theforest.org.uk/screenprinting

I can add a link to the online booking system that says "book the screenprinting room online", but from the text that is on the page right now it sounds like you would need to do a £20 induction first. So how do they book that? And then what happens? Please provide specific instructions!

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Same goes for the darkroom as well.

chombee

Post by chombee » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Darkroom page just got a nice update, thanks Brittonie!

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Sean, love the bullet points uptop
thanks!!! it looks great!