New Premises Sought

Front of House, garden etc.
Keni

New Premises Sought

Post by Keni » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am

Morning All

As you are probably aware by now, the sale of 3 Bristo Place is almost concluded and the Forest's lease there now finishes at the end of August. However, we are looking for another location and you can help out. Below is a list of criteria we are using to find a suitable premises. If you know of somewhere that fits the bill, either PM me or post the details in this thread.

So far we have looked at the property on Lady Lawson Street where the Big Red Door used to be and are looking at a site in Gayfield Square later this week. While the Roxy and the Odeon are available, they are both too big for our needs. The floor space for our current location is roughly 560 square metres with the main cafe approximately 100 square metres. Hopefully that gives you an idea of the size we need.

The important thing to remember is that the Forest is more than bricks and mortar - it is an idea that you can have an arts space in Edinburgh that is free and accessible to all. The Forest is also a community - everyone who uses the facilities and cares about these ideals is part of the the Forest family. We will continue in some shape or form, if only because ideas never die.

Minimum Criteria
Area: 200 square metres.
Lease: Fifteen years minimum.
Rent: Leading up to a maximum of £45k per annum
Spaces: Cafe, Caves, gallery and a performance hall/area.

Added Value Criteria
Area: 600 square metres maximum.
Spaces: Snip & Sip and additional space(s) to use or sub-let.

The area we're currently looking in is the stretch from Piccardy Place down to Pilrig Street (http://ow.ly/58XlA) plus the area bordered by Pleasance/St Leonard's Street to the east, Meadows to the south, Lothian Road to the west and Princes Street to the north (http://ow.ly/58Xre).

Laters, Keni
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

Keni

Re: New Premises Sought

Post by Keni » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I forgot to say earlier, the Forest is also about having fun with your friends and other like-minded folk, but then you lot all know that anyhows.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Alasdair K

Post by Alasdair K » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:22 am

How much bigger are the Odeon and Roxy than our requirements? As far as I know we're having trouble nailing a place down, and we could always expand/sub-let to more people? Certainly having a larger gig venue in there wouldn't hurt matters.

On top of that, how about the old Crags sports hall? It's currently abandoned...although I know very little about it, and am looking in.
Where's the drumkit gone?

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Alasdair.

From memory, the Roxy is at least 1,000 square metres. Another factor against considering it is that it is for sale (£850k fixed price) rather than renting. For a commercial mortgage you need at least a 20% deposit to secure the lending. At the moment we have raised £25k, so it is way out of our league.

As the Odeon, that was viewed last year by folk. I don't know the exact size but it was designed to take 2,000 people easily. Plus the space isn't that suitable for what we want to do, e.g. the shape of the rooms, et cetera.

Thanks for the tip re the Crags sports hall, I'll look into that tomorrow.

Cheers, Keni

boletes

Post by boletes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 am

I know this is a strange suggestion but, the stock markets down pretty majorly right now (my dads have been cut in half) which means theres money to be made I honestly think thats the best thing we could do with 25k. If we let it sit for awhile we'd surely see a huge increase in a year.....maybe we should get an advisor and look into it?

ken

Post by ken » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:22 pm

A sane man does not gamble what he cannot afford to lose. (unless you have some hot insider information?).
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 pm

As a gambling man I agree with Ken, you only bet what you can afford to lose. I don't think the Forest can afford to lose a grand right now, let alone £25k.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I also wouldn't be at all comfortable gambling money that's been donated to us in good faith for a specific purpose. But thanks for the suggestion.

boletes

Post by boletes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah I guess if it was lost it would be pretty terrible.

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Morning all

I thought a quick update here would help make sure everybody know where we are currently at in the search for a new Forest home.

We've viewed several properties over the last two months and held discussions with two potential landlords. One of these led to us submitting a detailed proposal to the owners of a building and a later meeting. We were one of four parties interested in the property - the former Lady Lawson Street timber Yard, or Big Red Door - and we got down to the final two. Sadly the owners decided to go for the other party, which is the way of things. However, it was a close run thing.

Since then we have open discussions with various folk, including some architects and a land agent, who hope to give us additional options. We are also still looking at properties - visited another premises last week - and plan to have more news soon.

Lastly, thanks to everybody who helped with last week's Action Day. We're still looking at what we can remove afore the end of August. To help with this process I'll be clearing the volunteer cupboard and surrounding area every Thursday starting next week (4th August) so please remember, your stuff belongs in your home, not the Forest.

Keep the faith

Keni