laptop trouble

Magda

laptop trouble

Post by Magda » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Hey guys,

I hope it's ok to post this here but I'm in desperate need of some advice.
My laptop's gone completely nuts.

Basically, the trouble seemingly started when I downloaded a piece of software and installed it. I have now uninstalled it but the problems are still there. Programs won't run. They either don't open or freeze. My antivirus program too. Only a few small programs, like MSN work. When the computer is switched on it just keeps making this noise like it's thinking really hard forever. It usually freezes completely after a while and I have switch it off by pressing the power button.

My antivirus program is called Symantec. I ran a full scan in safe mode but did not find anything.
It was suggested to me that I might have spyware so I downloaded Spyware Doctor and ran 2 full scans, one in safe mode and one in normal mode. It found some spyware and deleted it but the problems persist.

I bought my computer second hand and it was custom built so I don't really know that much about it. I've been told it's probably an HP or an Acer. The operative system is Windows XP Professional. I just had it reinstalled a couple of weeks ago.

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have.

thank you,

Magda

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 pm

It sounds like you probably need to reinstall the operating system, although I don't know much about Windows these days. It could also be a hardware problem I s'pose.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

graeme

Post by graeme » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:20 pm

As you are running XP try a system restore to a date before you installed the software which seems to have caused the problem.
I use free anti-virus and anti-spyware software from AVG to protect my family PCs running XP, it can be downloaded from here: http://free.grisoft.com/
Good luck!

Magda

Post by Magda » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks guys.